Monday, August 2, 2010


I had to add this photo as an addendum to Lou's post. I can still hear the sound the medicine cabinet doors made when Dad was getting ready in the morning. As I would stumble in the bathroom, hair disheveled and still in my jammies, dad would always remark..."They'll neeever let you in!" I can also still see him lifting his chin and squinting his eyes as he slapped himself with the after shave.

3 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

Ah yes, I remember that cabinet, too. And I remember Dad always used an electric shaver. When he shaved I would come up to him and say, "Dad, can I shave too?" He would then turn the shaver on its side where your hand would normally hold it, and rub it along my cheek. I thought it was really shaving and felt so grown up when did that!

Thom Calkins said...

I remember getting a red plastic "electric" razor, with a woven cotton power cord and a suction cup on the end. It had a crescent slot on one face, to match the real ones; you had to tick a thumbnail in there and spin a litle flywheel to kickstart the motor after plugging it in! On mine, spinning the wheel made the razor hum for a few seconds.

Thom Calkins said...

I remember getting a red plastic "electric" razor, with a woven cotton power cord and a suction cup on the end. It had a crescent slot on one face, to match the real ones; you had to tick a thumbnail in there and spin a litle flywheel to kickstart the motor after plugging it in! On mine, spinning the wheel made the razor hum for a few seconds.