Saturday, July 31, 2010

Jade East

OK, I thought to keep this blog going I would add another memory from my youth. Does everyone remember Jade East cologne? I sure do. It was the sure-fire way to get girls to dance with you at the high school dances. The bottle shown here is an actual bottle from Dad's collection of colognes that I got after his passing. My son Jonathan still uses it occasionally, but I really think the all encompassing fragrance has lost its potency quite a bit after more than 40 years.

I figured this bottle was probably purchased by Dad some time in the late 60's. It could not have been mine because mine would be used up! It cannot have been made before 1963 since the manufacturer's zip code is present and that did not start until 1963. I thought this stuff went passe some time in the early 70's but, to my surprise, I have learned it is still being made! This bottle was made by Regency Cosmetics (who still sell it) and it is also made by Songo. I guess the tried and true good cologne never dies, right? Truth be told, the fragrance of this cologne, even in its full potency, I believe suits teens better than older adults. But I may have to get a new bottle and "proof" it for Jonathan.

Does anybody else remember when Dad used to like wearing Bay Rum cologne? I used to hate the smell of that stuff. In my opinion, it ranked (or reeked) right up there with Limburger cheese. I know Dad used to also like Old Spice.

3 comments:

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

Wow I don't remember Bay Rum, but do remember the Jade East and the Old Spice! He wore the Jade East on Special Occasions

Thom Calkins said...

...and after Jade East came Hai Karate. Never like the spicy ones, but I liked the old spice bottle. My main stink was English Leather

Marie Calkins Malvitz said...

I remember Bay Rum and Jade East. I think some of the colognes were invented way back when, to cover up BO (as Dad called it) when people didn't shower every day. Some of the strong ones just plain stink!!
Along the same lines, I remember sitting next to the preacher's wife, Mrs. Simons on Sun. mornings when Mom and Dad were in the choir and being bowled over by the perfume smells in the church. I think back then every woman wore perfume!