Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Windows forty-something


The original windows shown here to the left of the skinny kid with the tom cat tie, had removable wood storm windows which could be propped open to allow a little air in. Three holes were drilled in the bottom to relieve moisture build-up, but bugs always built nests in there. To cool the house in summer, we had to remove the storm windows and put up screens, which were stored in the basement. I didn't take Dad long to have aluminum combo storm/screen windows installed.
The basement windows could be opened from the basement by releasing a latch and pulling the top of the window toward you. Because the basement was built too deep, you had to find something to stand on. At one time I developed a pole with a hook on it to open them from the floor. Guess that was Thom-ism #1. One of my jobs one summer was to paint metal frame which had a tendency to rust, in aluminum Rust-Oleum, of course. Another Dad-ism (which number are we on?) was making screened frames for the basement windows which were wedged into place with insulation strips.
I enjoyed the fact that house had windows facing in all directions. I have three distinct widow memories. During the upstairs renovation, a hole had been cut in the north peak to install a window. Looking out at that tremendous view, I was, for the only time in my life, jealous of Grandma and Grampa Calkins. Memory #2 was running to the small bedroom in the dormer after the old air raid siren had sounded that 4th of July reunion evening, and seeing the funnel cloud heading right for our house from about a mile and a half away.
Memory #3: I didn't think of Dad as an artist. When he created artwork, I though he was a wizard. But the most wonderful wizardry was the cellophane and tape "stained glass" nativity scene he created for the middle kitchen window. That was my favorite window of all.

3 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

The only thing I remember about the basement windows was when I was very young and very foolish. One day, Dan Berglund and I were making gunpowder at the workbench in the basement. Of course, when we were done making a batch, we just had to try some of it out. So we lit a little bit of it on a piece of paper but as it burned, it sent a smoldering ash into the rest of the batch, igniting the entire bowl. The basement was full of dense smoke. So we opened ALL the basement windows to try and air it out before either Mom or Dad got home. It was impossible to expel that sulfurous smell in any reasonable period of time, and when Mom got home, she smelled it. It wasn't nearly as strong then, and I just told her I had burned something in the basement and it was no big deal. I am very fortunate my quality of powder was not that great or I would not be here writing about it!

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

Window memories--The small windows in my bedroom in the dormer let in mourning dove coos every morning in the summers. I loved the window in grandma's room too. It was a window to the whole section of Walnut--like being on the roof looking down the street. I think it was smart to have a large window to let in a lot of light up there. I always loved the two corner windows in the north end of the living room, especially when the dogwood was blooming. Watching birds at the bird feeder through the kitchen window was the best!
The window in the back "office" bedroom was once a way to get into the house when we got locked out--if the window was not locked and we could stand on the trash can while someone fed us through the window. I once had to do that. It was really cool!!

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.