

A few photos of Christmases past. The left one is 1967 and the right 1966. The tree was always magical to me, even though it took up a chunk of the living room. I loved the soft glow of lights at night and the sparkling metal tinsel. I remember Thom or Lou loved to throw the tinsel on and I liked it to be placed on so it fell straight down and glittered. I loved putting on each ornament with memories of where it came from.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
5 comments:
Wow, I forgot all about the pole lamp! I remember Dad used poke fun at the fact that I got up early in the morning. I remember him saying something like, "Yeah, you [Lou] used to get up at the crack of dawn and when I said what the heck are you doing up so early, you would say, 'it's morning, it light out'"
I remember this particular Christmas. I got Lou a stopwatch that year and he guess what it was. I was crushed. I was even more crushed as that was the year mom wrapped my Santa present in the same wrap I had used for Lou's stopwatch...oops! I led me to always have special "Santa" wrap for my kids that I kept in a black plastic bag in the basement rafters. I can still remember that wrapping paper, you can see it in the picture I believe...white with red poinsettias, I think.
Forgot to comment about the tinsel...I used to get so frustrated that mom made me hang it strand by strand and then collect it after Christmas to save it for the next year. That tinsel was different, too. Kind of thick and not as shiny as the plastic stuff that they have today.
I think that tinsel was some real metal because you could ( and I did!) crunch it up in a ball. I wonder if it was aluminum. No wonder we know how to be frugal--Mom and Dad had to be. Guess our inheritance is due, in part, to that! Thanks, Mom and Dad.
The early tinsel, or "icicles" was tin foil, later on it was made of aluminum, but both were dangerous; they could conduct electricity and were the cause of many tree fires.
Altough it was undoubtably designed to simulate icicles, I like the way it would wave in the gentlest breeze, when hung vertically. I have known people who would use scissors to "trim" the tinsel so it would hang properly. For years now, Judy and I have not used the plastic stuff, but dozens of glass icicles of various designs instead. My favorite ornament was the St. Nick riding on a donkey with the "bobbing" head, that eventually was chewed up by one of the dogs.
Post a Comment