
As I thought about this Dad-ism, I suppose it should have been the very first one. I think Dad's policy was this: if a piece of metal was to be outside, and it was not naturally immune to heavy corrosion (e.g. copper, aluminum or stainless steel), it
would be painted with Rustoleum. That even went for some indoor things too like the sump pump pipe and the sewer clean-out pipe that came up out of the basement floor by the clothes chute. I picked the picture on the left because I think Dad used more silver metallic Rustoleum than any other color. I would like to say I took this picture of a can from Dad's collection of Rustoleum paints, but I have to confess, this is
my own can of paint! Yes, that's right, this is one Dad-ism I have definitely carried the torch on.


You will probably have to click on the pictures to see my arrows that point to what I call "Rustoleum targets". In the picture on the far left, there is a red arrow pointing to a column that was eventually covered with aluminum, but was originally painted with Rustoleum. The arrow at the bottom of that same picture is pointing to the manhole cover, not shown. (Come to think of it, that is the
only thing at the house I did not take a picture of!) Notice in these pictures that many of the things that were painted need painting again. But if you think about it, they probably were painted almost 20 years ago!

OK, in this next picture, can you spot the potential Rustoleum target? It is the stove hood vent cover, exactly in the middle of the picture. The really cool thing about Rustoleum was that it could be applied directly over existing rust as long as it was not loose rust. (Can you sense how much I like the stuff, too?)

And in this final picture, can you spot the Rustoleum targets? For me it was obvious: the two bird feeder poles in front of the bay window. The outer front door, although it looks like it was painted with metallic silver Rustoleum was actually just an aluminum door. The lower panel was oxidized and pitted so badly that Dad eventually painted it the solid color shown. But who really knows, maybe the paint he used on the door was indeed Rustoleum.
No comments:
Post a Comment