Thursday, December 17, 2009

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

The first snowfall in Flat Rock used to be around the evening of the first high school basketball game; then for 2-3 weeks, we might not see any more. We would pray for snow on Christmas, but not too much. It was now a few days after Christmas, 1970 something. The family was gathered at Walnut Street for a traditional Christmas gathering, when someone commented that it was snowing. I grabbed my camera and went out in front, staying on the driveway, because snow was already accumulating on the grass. Because of the overcast skies, I couldn't get enough depth-of-field to focus on the house as well as the large snowflakes gently falling. The result was a poor photograph and a great memory.
I cannot that I have all the facts right. Our brains have a way of re-writing our little "memory movies", poetic license, I guess. But this one picture encapsules all the gatherings, like the sound of tearing paper and laughter, the smell of a hundred things to eat, and the taste of Mom's eggnog (with or without rum).
Irving Berlin, a Jew, wrote "White Christmas" because of his memories of his childhood best friend, a Catholic neighbor boy who always invited Irving over to share their Christmas. Irving had moved from New York to Los Angeles as his songwriting career had blossomed.
But Jimmie Van Heusen's lyrics to another song of the season say: "It's not the things you do at Christmas time, but the Christmas things you do all year long."
I likewise believe that it wasn't the snow gathering outstide on the cold ground, but the family gathering inside of warm 29566 Walnut St. that made it Christmas.
To all the descendants of Dick and Billy Calkins. . .Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

What a terrific picture and beautiful sentiments!
Remember eating so many appetizers that we had no room for the actual dinner? Dad dutifully putting the gift wrapping in a trash bag as quickly as the kids could unwrap? Dad opening each gift with his small pocket knife, probably to bug us because it took so much time. Mom's homemade tags made from old Christmas cards and tiny ornaments attached with the bow on each gift. Mom's "float" was the best eggnog! Someone (Thom or Mom) plunking a Christmas tune on the piano. Mom's extraordinary effort each year to transform the basement into a Christmas family room. The name ornaments. The old Santa on a donkey or beast of burden ornament. The year we bought a real tree to plant after Christmas and were so bummed because we couldn't have the lights on too much and it was little! Great memories!

Lou Calkins said...

Great picture Thom! Your camera must have had a pretty good flash to light up the house as much as it did at that distance. And good recollections, Marie. I also remember the ornaments and other decorations that would come out. I remember having to go into the attic to get some of the Christmas stuff, too. I will NEVER forget the smell of that attic. I only seem to remember Thom playing the piano at Christmas time.