
Over-grown with weeds and the mortar gently crumbling...there stands the old fireplace. I remember burning bags of garbage in that old thing...watching the styrofoam meat trays melt. I probably shouldn't have been inhaling those fumes but I loved to see the cool colors and the way the flames danced off the styrofoam. If I remember right, dad told me that Thom and Marie's names or handprints or something are in there? Hope the new people keep it and find some use for it again. Closing tomorrow...sigh....
2 comments:
Yes, going through the house for the last time Tuesday was emotional for me, but I did not realize it until several hours after the fact (why am I like that?!!) I also took a picture of the old fireplace, where I can remember "burning the papers". Does anyone remember that some houses in the subdivision (like Magnolia street) had incinerators built into them in the basement? Now that would have been a lot easier than walking through the snow in the winter to burn the papers. Lots of pretty cool things went on behind the fireplace, too. The inside of the fireplace is made from firebrick Dad got from Pennsalt (at that time). And the metal grating things burned on was also from there. Linda, don't worry about inhaling melting styrofoam. The bricks and grating probably gave off much more toxic fumes. Anyone remember the MSPE corn roast Dad had there one summer? Anyone remember the miniature golf course Dad had in the back yard? I remember juice cans used to be the cups for each hole.
I remember the MSPE picnics, soaking the corncobs in water for a while before cooking and grilling steaks on the grate, too. I think we might of had that picnic more than once. I didn't know anyone that came very well but we had a good time and Mom and Dad had fun. Mom would make a double or triple batch of raised doughnuts a day or two ahead for the picnic, which we all devoured! We'd reheat leftover frozen doughnuts, if there were any, and dip in cinnamon sugar. HUM! As a teen I remember trying to keep the vines crawling all over the fireplace at bay during the summer as well as weeding the back yard--a good way to get a tan while doing some work (hee, hee).
Post a Comment