Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Another backyard photo, ca. 1988


The swing in the backyard of Grandma and Grandpa's house was always something fun. I remember the backyard as being a magical place, with lots to see and explore, but also being a bit nervous about what was in all that ground cover. Most of all, I was always amazed on how the garage was transformed into this wonderful indoor/outdoor space where we'd eat and play board games when we visited during the summer.

2 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

Yes, I remember the garage with its paneled walls and painted floor with outdoor carpeting. Can you believe some of us used to sleep out there on hot summer nights?! Great picture.

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

Transforming the garage into a summer room each spring took some doing. I was usually on window washing duty and that took a whole day. Dad would sometimes wash the floor after sweeping it and before we put the piece of "carpet" down. I think Dad enjoyed that outdoor space the most. We'd eat out there most evening meals. Those wooden trays got a workout dragging the food and dishes in and out.
I, too, remember sleeping out there on hot nights. It was a lot like camping, waking up to the sounds of birds. I think Mom and Dad truly loved the out of doors!