Wednesday, April 8, 2009

JC Waelde North Bay Pottery

Our great-great grandfather, John Charles Waelde was a potter in New York. Well these old "pots" are going for between $2,500-$8,000 at auction houses! I sure wish he would have passed some of those down to his family! He was born in Germany in 1819 and died in New York in 1903. There are some pictures of his other pots on line. If you look at the top of this particular pot, it says JC Waelde North Bay. There is also a book called "Around Sylvan Beach" that specifically mentions our great-great grandpa. You can read the excerpt on line. He was lauded for his use of appealing use of stencils.

3 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

So how did you find out about this? Don't tell me it was on an episode of Antiques Roadshow! Pretty awesome. I wonder if any of the Waelde clan knew about that.

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

Actually I found out about it from the Waelde clan. Tom Hojancki's wife Mary. Tom is our first cousin once removed. He is Uncle Dix and Aunt Eve's grandson. She is really into family history and told me to look it up. If you google JC Waelde Pottery NOrth Bay, you can see other pictures but they are protected against downloads without permission.

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

These are very cool. I think we had talented relatives. I think Grandpa, Mom's dad was artistic too.