Remember when Dad got his psaltery? Not sure when this picture was taken, but the package of photos says "1980's?" so it might narrow it down to a 10-year period. Since he is wearing a flannel shirt and a Santa doll is next to him, maybe he got it for Christmas or his birthday. I think Dad must have just gotten it because of some things I notice in the photo. To Dad's left is what looks like the instruction manual. Like the true engineer he was, he always read the directions first. Then to his right was the cassette player. I remember they included a tape with the psaltery so you could play along. I am not sure, but maybe he had to string it and tune it since a pitch pipe is next to the cassette player. Also not sure if this picture is Dad actually trying to play a song, but it looks like it. I hope one of us got that instrument, or it went to a good home.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
The Psaltery
Remember when Dad got his psaltery? Not sure when this picture was taken, but the package of photos says "1980's?" so it might narrow it down to a 10-year period. Since he is wearing a flannel shirt and a Santa doll is next to him, maybe he got it for Christmas or his birthday. I think Dad must have just gotten it because of some things I notice in the photo. To Dad's left is what looks like the instruction manual. Like the true engineer he was, he always read the directions first. Then to his right was the cassette player. I remember they included a tape with the psaltery so you could play along. I am not sure, but maybe he had to string it and tune it since a pitch pipe is next to the cassette player. Also not sure if this picture is Dad actually trying to play a song, but it looks like it. I hope one of us got that instrument, or it went to a good home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yes, Lou, I have the psaltry...and the tape..and the instruction manual and the actual bill of sale I believe. I'll look up the date for you. I actually can and have played it also. Mom gave it to me shortly after dad died. I have had the bow restrung once but it probably could use it again. It also has a string missing.. b flat I think.
Lou, upon further inspection of the picture, I think it was between 1978 and 1981. The reason I think this is that my Santa "doll" is on the couch and I am pretty sure that when I moved into our house (April of 1981) mom made me take ALL of my Christmas stuff.
I suppose the date on the receipt would be very close to the date of the picture. I would bet this was the first time Dad played it. I think he liked it more as a novelty than an actual instrument he would use somewhere. And that makes sense since the only "instruments" either Mom or Dad ever used seriously were their voices. I am surprised one of the strings would be broken since I don't think it was gigged very hard :-)
Post a Comment