

Painted by our Grandpa Waelde sometime prior to 1935, "Jesus in the Garden" hangs in the chapel at the First United Methodist Church in Flat Rock. I remember dad restoring it in the early 70's. I also remember that it had hung in Uncle Dix's church in Deckerville prior to that. (When he and Aunt Ev moved to Florida, the painting went to mom) What I never knew before, was that prior to Deckerville, the painting hung above the altar at East Grand Boulevard Methodist Church. I didn't realize this until I was looking at a picture from the 1936 Memorial Directory from East Grand and found this picture. Excuse the quality of the scan. I never remember hearing that the picture had hung in East Grand sanctuary. I also don't know what year the church was closed. There is also a picture of the sanctuary today. Sad....
2 comments:
Very interesting. I never knew what the inside of the church looked like. It looks sort of long an narrow, much smaller that I had in mind. I saw some other pictures at this web site: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasinsac/MI/egbmethodist-1.html
If you go to the end, they show a picture of the gymnasium where I think the picture of Mom playing basketball was taken.
Also, if you look closely at the photo of the church, you can see a couple of the wooden organ pipes that were part of the "ranks" of pipes for the organ. What better place for our grandpa's painting to be than right in front of the organ pipes!
Post a Comment