Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Eye Cup

How many remember using this handy device when we were young? Just the other day I had to use it and thought of how I used to get this out of the "medicine cabinet". Usually, the eye problem was nothing real serious, maybe a piece of dirt, a hair, or something innocuous. I always thought it was kind of an archaic thing to use. But it almost always got the job done. I don't know how old this is, but it seems like it was there as long ago as I can remember.

I remember this and other "tools" we had in the medicine cabinet: clippers, nail files, lash curlers, and the very cool dentist's mirror. Those implements of health and beauty used to sit in some kind of glass cup. But what was the dentist's mirror all about anyway? Were we about to embark on home dentistry to save money? (remember Dad had a Dremmel tool, so we were already well on our way!)

1 comment:

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

I have the old nail clippers and they are still in use!! The glass cup that held them was an old mug that said "Dick" on it. I think it was from PennSalt.