In an effort to help my heart and lower cholesterol, I've been eating Cheerios almost daily. I opened a new box recently, and found, to my joy, a Hot Wheels pull and release racer!!! Not only that, but there are many different ones (collect all six!) and you get to put the car decorations on yourself! This brought back memories of baking soda submarines, cap-gun cap bombs (thanks to Lou for reminding me), Rice Krispie Snap, Crackle, and Pop rings (with levers inside to make the rubber faces make "faces"), balsa wood airplanes, and, strangest of all, Confederate dollar bill reproductions in different denominations. This, of course, doesn't count the myriad of glorious artifacts that you could accumulate by collecting box tops and mailing them in! Maybe you can remember more.
One trivia...I just learned on the History Channel, that the Navy deepsea submarine which replaced the hugh bathyscape, and was instrumental in retrieving the lost nuclear missile off the coast of Spain, was built in a General Mills factory, the plant where they designed, tested, and built all of their machinery for processing cereal! Maybe it operates on baking soda. . .
2 comments:
Such a cool topic. The one I especially remember was when some cereal box offered a stopwatch in exchange for some box tops and some money. We sent all that in, but got a letter back saying they did not have any more available. At that point, I think I just went back to being content with the prizes that came in Cracker Jack boxes.
I still have a cardboard WWII flyer from PEP cereal that we found behind our old cupboards when we renovated the kitchen. I didn't know the prizes were back...how awesome!!
Post a Comment