Sunday, September 20, 2009

Streetlight

Here is the what the streetlight looked like...I actually would be ready to go in but be down the street by the firehydrant, just sitting on the easement waiting for the light to go on...you wouldn't want to come in too early!! Thanks to Lou for the picture..google images perhaps?

4 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

I am trying to think of where the street lights were on Walnut: one at Huron River Dr, one at Mittlestadt's, one at Field Street, maybe one at Hill St, and finally one at Gibralter.

Thom Calkins said...

I think Lou is right about the placement of the lights. The lights at intersections were on a wood pole and metal arm as shown. I think the by Mittlestats was added because of the danger of negotiating the hill from Huron River Dr., and I believe it was suspended from a wire between two wooden poles, but I could be wrong. I do remember Donny Sworden, Barry Jones and me, swinging brooms wildly in the area of the light as it came on at dusk, trying desperately to hit a bat that was feasting on bugs entranced by the light.

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

Maybe the light was put there after Mr. Romine? hit the tree in front of Brubakers...

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

I remember how interesting the street looked at night especially as the maples grew taller and sometimes blocked some of the light. I loved staying out until dark and sometimes would go home only to go out again in the backyard to watch and catch fireflies. There always seemed to be a ton of them (and Mosquitoes !!!)
Remember the city or county spraying DDT or something noxious after dark on hot humid summer nights to kill the mosquitoes? They probably only did that only once a summer but I remember it well. We'd have to close our windows and I used to hide under the covers and sweat!