
Couldn't figure out if this was just a day when NONE of us wanted our picture taken or if it was taken the day of Grandpa Waelde's funeral. I was rather young at the time so I will defer to my elders...The photographer obviously thought that our knees were more important than dad's head!!
5 comments:
Holy cow! It MUST have been a funeral or something. But the only one partially smiling is Mom. So I am wondering if it was Grandpa Waelde. If they were standing in the same spot today, they would all be underneath the tree. What a morbid looking picture! This has to go in the record book as the worst family picture.
On second thought, the photo has to be later than Dec 1958, I am more than 1, Lous is more than almost 6, Marie looks older than 11 and Thom older than 15. But we are all dressed up with winter coats on...
I thought this could be a early spring day, perhaps a March Easter. It's clear none of us wanted to get our picture taken. I'll look through the pictures to see if the original had one of Mom's notations on it referencing the date or occasion.
I found my copy of that picture and it was developed in November 1960. That still might not help solve the mystery of the occasion but that's what I know.
Easter would have been April 17th that year, but the coats say it was pretty cold. The shadows say it was early morning, maybe after sunrise service, which was multidenominational, and before the services at our church. I think I remember posing for this shot. If so, the reason for the consternation was Grandma's lack of expertise at the camera. I think it might have been her old box camera, which took beautiful pictures, but the viewfinder was so scratched that it was impossible to line the subject up, especially for Grandma. Plus I had agreed to sing in choir so Dad would make payments on a saxophone, so we all had several services to sit through before the morning was over. I think even Marie was in a junior choir about then. No wonder we were scowling!
Post a Comment