Saturday, September 5, 2009

A 1992 letter from Mom to Dad

Here is a letter from mom to dad that I found with their 50th wedding anniversary stuff. I would have scanned it if it had been handwritten...but, you know mom, it was typed.

Sweetheart,
Going way, way, way back in my memories--I remember telling my friend, Rosemary once that I thought Dick Calkins and I could really get along. Then when Ken Bond asked me if I'd go out with you, I remember saying "I'll try anything once"--knowing full well that I'd hoped for that time to come quite some time before. And then you did ask me if I'd go for a ride with Ken and (was it Jean?) to go to see the Christmas tree decorations. We had a great time though I tried to keep you from knowing I'd been out to Palmer Woods to see the Christmas trees a few nights before with ? --maybe it was Don Huffman. Little did I know you guys would get together and exchange information about your holiday dates and you would all find out. Then that winter when the Y leaders club had a party at Ted Krause's cottage at the lake planned and you and Bruce decided to flip a coin to determine who was to take me to that party (rather than make a dash to the phone). Bruce thought the coin flip was best as when you proposed the idea, he was nude, getting ready to take a shower after working out at the Y. Anyway, the coin was flipped and whether you won or lost I never was sure but you took me to the fun day at the lake. It was really the beginning of many happy years. Remember that day at the lake when we carried lanterns when it got dark and walked across the frozen lake?
And then on April Fool's day in 1942 you gave me an engagement ring and we set the date for June 26. We had a great week at Glen Eden Hotel at Glen Arbor, Michigan. I remember when I posed over a beautiful look-out spot so you could take a picture--only to find out I was sitting on an ant hill. Remember the dessert we were served in the dining room--Sailor's duff? Remember the canoe trip we took down the winding stream, taking home movies all along the way and then at the end of the day as we put up on shore and waited for the Hotel to come for us, we unloaded the camera, dropping it on the ground and watching it roll? What a bummer!
Our family began in December of 1942. After experiencing a miscarriage early in the year of 1943, we were excited to have Tom arrive at Wyandotte Hospital. A flu epidemic at the time kept me from all visitors--and I didn't get to see you for five days. If they hadn't brought Tommy to me every four hours, I would really have been lonesome. I guess you were busy trying to keep warm, having to reheat the house when you got home from work--not easy when you had to keep a fire going in the furnace. You were so helpful after I got home from the hospital because Tom was a colicky little one and we had to take turns sleeping so one of us could be on duty in the wee hours.
And then 3 1/2 years later, we were blessed with a little girl. Not only did we have a pretty little girl, we were blessed with another smart child. Marie was just a year old when we moved to Flat Rock. I remember your mother came to help out when we were bouncing back and forth with the moving between Flat Rock and Wyandotte, she kept Marie happy. Tom started Kindergarten that Fall and that was our beginning of 27 years with student in the Flat Rock School system. I was proud of you when you served for 12 of those years on the school board.
Then in 1952, when we learned your dad would be retiring, we felt the only answer was to provide a home for you Mom and Dad with us. I remember that summer when we raised the roof and built two rooms and bath up in what was the attic. The roof had been torn off and we had the most awful downpour. You were up on the roof untwisting the tarp from the chimney to pull down to keep our walls dry. What a traumatic moment. I was pregnant for Lou and despite the running from the basement to attic all went well--our little nest didn't wash away and I didn't suffer any ill effects. That summer your parents moved in with us thought their rooms weren't quite finished. Plastering in that little linen closet in the bathroom was a bit difficult for me since my tummy took up much of the room in that closet.
When Marie was just 3 years old and Tom was nearly 7 we experienced the first real worry when Tom was diagnosed as having Polio. He was hospitalized for 8 weeks Your support to me during those weeks kept me from going off the deep end. And then while he was in the hospital, your calm and cool caring carried me through when Marie fell out of the car while we were driving at 60 miles an hour. I remember what a relief it was to see her running to catch up to us as we turned around and our headlights shown on her. One of the many thing we have to thank God for.
The January of 1953, after your parents had moved in with us, Lou came into our life. Lou was not a colicky baby so the adjustment to your parents moving in and a new baby, wasn't too traumatic. Your parents never interfered so the merger of the two families went quite smoothly. I know you must have had mixed emotions about the outcome and I will admit I felt that perhaps since life had been rather quiet for your folks, especially after you left, the noise and especially a crying baby might be really disturbing to them. If it was, they never complained.
Your mother had been very helpful after Lou was born. I remember hiding the ironing from her as she would iron and I'd see her holding her back with the pain from standing over the ironing board. So, when I told her in 1957 that I was pregnant, she had a frown come over her face. I said I thought she'd be happy and her reply was "But I won't be able to help you like I did when Lou was born". I assured her that we'd manage somehow. We did manage very well. Linda was a joy to all of us. We felt real fortunate to have a "millionaire's family" (boy, girl, boy, girl). We enjoyed watching Linda grow and she was a happy child. Not only did we enjoy watching her, we enjoyed watching the older ones enjoy her.
God certainly was good to us--providing 4 very healthy children who were also blessed with plenty of "smarts". And then as they each married and had children, to be blessed with 8 grandchildren was an added bonus. Fifty years hasn't really seemed that long. The saying "Time goes fast when you're having fun" is fitting for our marriage.

4 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

"I guess you were busy trying to keep worm[sic], having to reheat the house when you got home from work--not easy when you had to keep a fire going in the furnace."
What!? Did we live in a log cabin or something? Must have been a coal furnace. Back when men were real men and literally kept the home fires burning.
"And then while he [Thom] was in the hospital, your calm and cool caring carried me through when Marie fell out of the car while we were driving at 60 miles an hour. I remember what a relief it was to see her running to catch up to us as we turned around and our headlights shown on her."
Now I had heard the story about Marie falling out of the car, but I never knew she got up and starting running! Now we know who the real wonder woman was! What car was that, the Plymouth? Marie, I never knew or did not remember the extent of your injuries.

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

I was wondering the same thing about the furnace "fire"...maybe that was part of Wyandotte's heating service. I remember mom telling the story about Marie, but didn't know it happened while Thom was in the hospital! I thought it happened up north...what road were you on Marie?

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

Lou, Mom said we were in Minnesota when that happened. That couldn't have been right if Thom was in the hospital here. Maybe I didn't remember it right. I don't know what kind of car it was but the back door opened from the front to the back. ( I got the idea that Dad was driving someone else's car). Therefore, when I pulled the handle it just took a little air to fling the door open with me attached. The only thing I remember was seeing the car lights get tiny in the distance and I thought they didn't know I was gone out of the back seat. Dad said, when I questioned him, that they had to go that far to turn around. Boy, I would have stopped on a dime if my child got flung out of the car! Mom held me on her lap and we drove around for a long time trying to find some store or gas station that was open. I think we finally found a gas station that has bandages. My knees were scrapped up pretty bad, I guess. I'm amazed I didn't have a head injury.
That letter to Dad was wonderful and must have touched him. She remembered a lot of details.

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.