Sunday, July 19, 2009

Home movies




   We used to beg Mom and Dad for viewing of "home movies".  I especially recall the collapse of the bridge, the old Christmas movies when Thom and I were young and the cartoons. Wow!  I was really scared of that Pincushion Man in Balloonland who popped everyone!
    Here are a sampling of still photos from some of the films I've reviewed lately.  Luckily, my neighbor had a n 8mm projector.  Hope to copy some of the footage for those of you that want it.
    

5 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

Ah yes, I remember them, although I do NOT remember there being many "family" films, but rather purchased films like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. I still use a still photo of the bridge collapse as my avatar on Skype with the caption, "I was only off by a decimal point, don't I get partial credit?" I seem to recall Mom and Dad saying they had to sell the 8mm camera to buy a washer and/or dryer, so the filming stopped fairly early on in the years of our household. Also remember that I have the projector we used to watch them on if you want to borrow it. Great still photo of Mom and Thom.

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

As I recall the story went that they had to sell the camera to buy a washer and dryer about the time that Lou was born. Thus there were no "home movies" of Lou and I. My favorite was always the one in which Marie was trying to cover the whole baby doll in the crib with a blanket that was too short...first the feet were covered, then the head, then the feet...etc.

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

Hey, Lou, I would definately like to borrow the projector. Do you have any of the films too? Does the projector work?
Never saw the film Linda refers to of me and the baby doll.
Dad seemed to do most of the filming, because he's hardly ever in the film himself. Also he loved to film scenery, sunsets, lakes, flowers and so on.

Lou Calkins said...

Hi Marie. Sure you can borrow it. It probably needs some oil, but I will plug it in and make sure it still works. No, I do not have ANY of the films, but it sounds like Linda does. So we might have to have a meeting in Flat Rock. Would you also like to use the screen? Let me know and maybe we can plan a time and place to meet.

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

No I don't have any movies, just slides...I think Marie has all of the movies I found in the house. There are no more to my knowledge, unless Thom has some? I just remember seeing the baby doll film a long time ago...my favorite was always the tacoma narrows one.