Wednesday, July 15, 2009

More Bitely Lake

These pictures were also taken at the cabin at Bitely Lake. This one of Megan and Dad has always been one of my favorites because 1) Megan absolutely LOVES watermelon and 2) Dad is taking great care, as he always did, to remove the seeds with a spoon prior to enjoying his piece of watermelon. Looks like we also had corn, chips, salad and of course "bug juice".
In this picture Jessica, Megan, and Mom are floating by the dock. Can't tell weather Jess was immitating Grandma, Grandma was immitating Jess or it is simply a genetic pose...maybe related to the fact that they both have webbed toes!

3 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

Wow, I almost forgot about "bug juice"! Do you suppose Dad was knowledgeable about cochineal extract, or do you think the term was just a tradition in his family? I suppose if Grandma Calkins knew about trichinosis, she was probably hip to cochineal extract. Great pictures, Linda.

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

I always thought the term "bug juice" came from Camp Ohiyesa...maybe the "elder" siblings remember?

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

I think that term was from Ohiyesa. Dad always used that to refer to any juice combo. When I first looked at the picture of Megan, I thought it was Linda when she was young. Amazing resemblance! Dad always had such precise eating manners.. Guess being raised by older parents may have factored in. Mom and Dad really loved being at that cabin with their family.