Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Smell of Pancakes, Eggs or Whatever

Marie commented on the previous post about a cabin they went to, "Mom would get up early and make breakfast. The smells of the pancakes, eggs or whatever, came up through an opening in the bedroom floor and would wake us up." I don't remember the cabin, but I do remember it at home. I also tell people that I started drinking coffee at a very early age. I can still remember Mom letting me take the last couple of sips of her coffee from the table. No decaf back then, it was the REAL stuff!

In the picture above, Mom is unloading a stack of French toast from the electric skillet to the table. Notice the cinnamon on the pullout board? Mmmm, good stuff! I can still hear her telling me how to tell when it was time to flip a pancake, "When you see bubbles start to appear in the batter in the center, and the edges are starting to dry, it's time to flip it." And I seem to recall that almost every time I make them - cool!

I don't think it was until the Vermont trip that Mom and Dad got hooked on genuine 100% pure maple syrup. I remember they came back with a gallon of it! Unfortunately, I got hooked on it too, and now so is Vicki and the boys. But back in the day, it was Log Cabin maple syrup. Then I think we finally moved on up to Mrs. Buttersworth. All I remember about the toppings is Marie would put sugar (or maybe brown sugar?) on her French toast instead of syrup. She must not have tried the 100% pure maple syrup or she probably would have changed her ways ;-)

The picture shown above was taken when I was a senior in college. I think it was a weekend I was at home. About a year later, I came home on the weekend but brought a "good friend"of mine back from school. Uh, the good friend is shown in the picture on the left, helping Mom with the dishes after we were done eating breakfast - probably French toast or maybe pancakes, or eggs, or whatever.

4 comments:

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

Well, to this day I put cinnamon and nutmeg on my French toast, even though many of my friends have never had it that way. After they taste it, they like it, though. I always used to put sugar on my pieces instead of maple syrup because I thought syrup was too sweet. Imagine that! Now I love maple syrup, too.
I remember the smell of garlic when Grandma lived with us and was cooking a meal for herself. She'd sprinkle lots of garlic salt on a piece of beef and then fry the life out of it, spreading garlic smell throughout the house. I think she probably seasoned it until she could smell it cooking. Her sense of smell had diminished, I think.

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

I put just cinnamon on my french toast. And, Lou I do the same thing when I make pancakes...when the bubbles stop popping on the top and the edges are dry! I taught my girls the same thing..it's the only way to make pancakes. I remember the trip to vermont, too...but that's a whole separate blog entry!!

Lou Calkins said...

Yes, we too make french toast with cinnamon, yum! I remember Grandma used to fry her bacon until it was just about carbon. Her reasoning was that uncooked and undercooked bacon could contain the trichina worm and we could all die from Trichinosis. She'd sprinkle lots of garlic salt on a piece of beef and then fry the life out of it, spreading garlic smell throughout the house. Maybe that was why Dad put in that huge exhaust fan above the stove!

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

Lou used to love pancakes! He always wanted them on weekend days, probably Saturday. I always was impressed because Thom and Lou could eat a stack of them but I'd get full with only one. Lou asked for them so often that sometimes I'd make them and then Mom taught him how to make them himself. He did it from then on and I'm sure Mom was relieved to have another cook!