Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mom (Grandma) and Tracee and Pub

Here is a picture of Mom with Tracee. The picture has a date on it of Jan 76, but I am guessing it was taken quite a bit earlier the year before. Since there is turkey on the table, it might have been at Thanksgiving time (1975). That would have Mom at age 54 and Tracee at age 3 1/2.

At first, I thought the picture was Mom about to hand something to Tracee. But then I noticed Pub in the picture (see him?). It looks like Mom is about to feed him some scraps of turkey. Or maybe it was a Milkbone Flavor Snack. Tracee is eating ice cream and has a glass of water. I also noticed Dad's lunch box on the floor and just behind that is that Tupperware container that always had cookies in it. Back when this picture was taken, I bet they were really good cookies too, with lots of lard and sugar in them, mmm. But you might also notice on the shelf above the cookie container is a glass bowl with some expired bananas in it. The picture was obviously taken before they remodeled the kitchen since now there is a cabinet where the cart is.

When I first noticed Pub, it looked like he was "smiling" (i.e. showing his teeth) as we so often would make him do when he was about to get a treat. But I think that was just the gray hair of his mouth. One final picture of Pub in probably his most frequent laying location.

The picture has a date on it of Feb 77, but I think it was taken some time in 1976. His gray beard shows pretty well here. He would be with us about three years longer after this picture.

I will try to post more color pictures in future posts. The reason there are so many black and white pictures is because I was into that about this time. The summer I stayed with Marie & Bill (1976) I was really into the "pan" film and Bill was too, if I remember right.

4 comments:

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

Yes, most likely your first photo was taken in 1975. Tracee was born in 1972 and she looks about 3 1/2. I love the jar of "Preem" that can be seen just above her head. I think it was non-dairy creamer. Pub was put down in May or June of 1979..right around the time Larry and I were married. Ironically, his childhood dog was put down around the same time.

Lou Calkins said...

Thanks for the dates. I will correct the original post.

TJG said...

Thanks Uncle Lou, for showing the world my turkey and ice cream fetish :) So, that's where I get those cravings.

Seriously, nice photos and blog. Thanks for sharing.

Lou Calkins said...

Hi Tracee! I was surfing around the other day and noticed your blog (Grammar of the Lotus). I did not know you were a grad student in art history! It is really nice to see your response here. I hope things are going well with you.