Thursday, February 12, 2009

Christmas 1976


I found this in my pictures, I love this picture of mom...she looks so very happy. I also love to look at the things in the basement...the dart board, that Native American leather thingy...who is that anyway? Chief Ohiyesa? Look at the workbench...dad's tools so neatly arranged..Wait!! There's a saw backwards!!! Who did that? Also note that the furnace isn't enclosed. Must have been the year mom got the gold crockpot! It's also when the chimney still had the "Pubby door". (So called because we had a bird in the house once that came out of that door and Pub became totally focused on the sound of the door opening.) I'll never forget that day. Jeff Elias had to help get the bird out of the house.

6 comments:

Lou Calkins said...

Great picture and very funny comments! The saw is probably backwards because of ME, and the workbench looks messy even from a distance which I am sure is because of ME. I also notice that little lamp on the chimney, which I am glad I claimed. I might even have the picture that is above it, too. The old furnace! What is scary about seeing it is the thought that it probably had at least a few holes in the plenum and we likely had some carbon monoxide in our house. Remember the McEnroe girl who died from that? I forgot about Jeff Elias and the bird. The dart board was cool; that Indian thing I always thought was stupid. Yes, those were good times. Christmas in the basement because the house was getting too small for all the kids and grand kids. I will also try to dig up some of those old pics.

Lou Calkins said...

Linda, could this have been the Christmas of 1976? I notice the picture shows a date the corner of Jan 1977. Not that it makes much difference. Hmm, somehow I thought they had the new furnace by that time. I guess not.

Lou Calkins said...

Does everyone remember how you turned the lights on and off at the workbench and the laundry area? Remember the strings you could pull at the top of the stairs that would turn them off. Those were great. I can still feel what it was like to turn those lights on and off using those strings. It was a great low-tech way of turning the lights off remotely. I'm thinking it may have been the only way to turn them on and off. Now there are switches at the bottom of the stairs, but to this day, I cannot remember which switch to flip to turn on for the area I want to go to.

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

yep, I remember the strings. It sure saved a lot of running up and down the stairs. I remember being so afraid of going down in the basement as a kid..I was afraid there was a cow and a rabbit by the furnace...weird, I know. And do you remember the rope that was strung in a zig-zag fashion on either side of the stairs to keep us from falling?

Lou Calkins said...

Yes, and I can partially see them in the picture. Speaking of lighting, we had to be the ONLY house within 50 miles that had low-voltage outdoor light wiring. You know, where we had to press the buttons for the outdoor lights. Do you have ANY idea how advanced and revolutionary that was for that time? To this day, it is only seen in some of the more expensive mansions. Maybe Dad thought of our house that way.

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

I loved that string that lead to the light in the workshop area. Before that I hated when we had to go down in the workshop area to turn the light off and then run up stairs because it was so spooky.
Lou, do you remember you were so scared of the basement because you said "Tright-ta-boom-boom-boom" was down there--the Calkins family monster, I guess.
I also remember when the basement steps had no back and we would go under the stairs to hide. We could see out but others couldn't see us so we thought that was cool.