Monday, September 29, 2008

Flat Rock Halloween in the 1960's
I have vivid memories of a year I went as a "princess". I wore the pink dress that Marie had worn in cousin Don's wedding. I had to trick or treat with Lou and it had been raining. He was going too fast for me to keep up with him ...now that I think back he was probably actually trying to ditch me...anyway, I fell on the corner of Walnut and Field right in front of Fred Gladding's house. I am sure Fred didn't occupy the house at the time, but I do remember being traumatized by the fall. We always collected candy in a pillow case because you could carry more and it didn't rip as the paper grocery bags did. We would come home and dump it on the living room floor, sorting and trading...I loved those Squirrels, but didn't care for Mary Janes. Only after I became a parent did I realize that after I went to bed, mom and dad probably raided my candy!!! (As I did with my kid's stash)

1 comment:

Lou Calkins said...

Fred Gladding lived on Walnut street? You mean I lived just down the street from a famous Detroit Tiger pitcher? I knew he lived in Flat Rock, but never knew he lived on our street! I am pretty sure Mom knew his mom. The next thing you know, Tom will tell me he met Bobby Darin at the Brandt's house (true I think, but Tom will have to confirm). Oh well, I guess I will just have to settle for having known and grown up with Dan and Dave Florek.