Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ancient rites of Halloween, Flat Rock style.

I can only remember one Halloween costume. I was a hobo, and my hat was a black plastic "bowler" purchased just for that night. In the early Halloweens of my childhood, it was called Beggar's Night by some, and they were heard to shout "Help the Poor" rather than "Trick or Treat." Someone down Walnut Street would have us bob for apples; another kindly old lady would make us hot chocolate, and another provided hand made candied apples, another popcorn balls...house after house inviting us inside to enjoy home made treats, share a scary story, and warm up when the weather was cold and rainy. Walnut St. was the last street on the east side of town, and I rarely completed the full length of Walnut and Evergreen streets. By the time I got to the corner of Evergreen and Field, I would trot up the hill to Walnut, and make a bee-line for home, so full of goodies that I rarely even look inside my double-layered paper grocery bag.

Later on came driving out to the farms to tip over outhouses, "soaping" windows (which ended with an ill-advised application of paraffin wax to Parker's porch screens) and other miscellaneous mischief, which began about the time they started having a big town party at the football field. which was were we were supposed to be.

But I will remember best the pungent odor of a charred bottle cork as I applied it to my cheeks to make my first (and obviously not last) beard.

3 comments:

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

Where did the Parkers live?

Lou Calkins said...

Yes, I too remember that burned cork smell. One other smell I will NEVER forget was the smell of those rubber masks! Yuck! They contained a combination of sweat and breath condensation that was allowed to ferment in a box in the attic since the year before. And I still think those masks were just a scary as anything out there today. BTW, my favorite mask was a clear plastic one of a man's smiling face. There was also a lady's face. Remember those?

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

I remember Thom being a hobo, picking out parts of the costume from a box of costume pieces kept in the attic. The rubber mask was a witch's mask, complete with nose wart. It eventually melted to itself in the hot attic one summer or the rubber just rotted.
MLCM