In addition, I researched the disc manufacturer, and the recording technique to pinpoint the age of the disc.
An aluminum disc of this type, without an acetate coating, is the rarest of records used. The disc was manufactured by Mirror Record Corp. in New York. The recording equipment was most likely a Presto recording machine, which feature a turntable powered by electricity. A heave weight was positioned on the record to prevent slipping. The primary use of uncoated aluminum discs was to record programs or events on radio. They were used primarily between 1920 and 1935. I think Grandpa picked up the recorder when they were being discontinued in the the early 30s, from a radio station or one of many recording companies that recorded live radio. In addition, he probably bought a number of blank discs, and may have kept this one hoping he could re-record it; perhaps he made this recording, but I doubt it.
Both sides sound like they are the same male quartet, first and second tenors, baritone, and bass. Side one contains two spirituals, "Ezekiel saw the Wheel [Way Up In The Middle of the Air]" and "All God's Chillun Got Shoes [Gonna walk all over God's Heaven]" while side two contains one "white" gospel song, "Coming For Me, For Me."
The group sounds Caucasian, and white Barbershop music was at its zenith in the early 30s.
I know Dad and Uncle Dick both liked quartet music, but I just didn't get any feeling that the group included our relatives, or amateurs. There is no evidence that it was an impromptu performance, nor a concert; much more like a radio or recording studio.
I have uploaded the two sides as one "track" lasting about 6:10. If you would like to hear it , I'll send it to you.
3 comments:
I would really like a recording file of this, for sure! In my head I can still hear a recording of You Tell Me Your Dream. Not sure who sang it, could have been another professional group, but I don't remember it sounding that good. Thanks Thom.
I would like a recording, also!!
I'd love a recording, too! Thanks
Post a Comment