But my first "encounters of the third kind" were not Mom or Dad, but Grampa Waelde, I recall the Waelde clan gathered at his house on 18 Mile road. After dinner, with a little encouragement, he would either do a recording on the recording phonograph, or drag out one of his handmade instruments.
One was the musical saw, or "singing" saw, which was just a regular rip or crosscut hand saw with a quality tempered blade, and an old violin bow.
Holding the saw handle between his knees, and bending the other end of the saw, he stroke the upper edge of the saw (without teeth) with the violin bow, making a beautiful sound, whose tone could be raised or lowered by bending or relaxing the end of the saw.
His other instrument had a similar sound, and was just about as difficult to play. It was a homemade Theramin, the second electronic instrument ever invented (back about 1928). Tubes, and wires, and knobs, and a car aerial sticking up out of the mess. He hooks up a drycell battery, turns a couple of the knobs, and waves his hand toward the aerial. When his hand got within 3 feet of the the aerial, a sound emanated from the household radio, to which the device had been attached. As his hand grew closer, the pitch raised, and lowered as his hand retreated. He let me "play" it, but the results were dreadful.
And now that I have mentally revisited that day, I have a craving to buy one, not a cheap $88 one, but a $350 one with the additional wire loop for controlling volume. My female dog, Tessie, can't resist "singing" along with my harmonica; I can't imagine what she would do to me playing the "Star Trek" theme.
Next time: hooked on performing.
2 comments:
Yes, I will read these posts intensely. I had heard about grandpa and the Thermin. Of course it would be home made; I don't think he knew any other way of having anything electronic. I was also told he was an amateur radio operator, but I don't think I ever knew of his call sign. I would venture to say the genetics of most of my electronics tinkering came not as much from Dad as from Grandpa Waelde. Dad was always supportive of my electrical hacking, and I remember he would always bring home discarded electrical equipment because he knew I would enjoy taking it apart. But as far as the DNA goes, I think it was on Grandpa Waelde's side. I think I have some digitized recordings of the Waelde family singing and I was once going to put them on a CD. Never got to it, but still intend to some time. Now I am curious if there is any saw playing on the recordings.
Funny you said that, Lou. I was just remembering that you had recorded that and wondering if I could get a copy. The musical DNA continues. Megan sang a solo in church last Sunday for her church in Morence. Wish I could have heard it.
Post a Comment