Sunday, May 9, 2010


Being the oldest child is not always an advantage, but at least I had the opportunity to be with Mom at a relatively young age. She liked to tease Dad (about what I don't know); she like performing well enough to put Black Jack gum on her front teeth so she could sing "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth at a Church Christmas pagaent. She wasn't a good cook then, but she had a knack for pineapple upside down cake. She loved singing, practicing her alto Choir parts while working in the kitchen. She didn't really like to drive much, so there was no complaining about having no car. She usually had a twinkle in her eye, and when she cried, she tried to hide, but it cast a gloom over the whole house. Most of all, she was a wonderful mother. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

1 comment:

Marie Calkins Malvitz said...

I love this photo. I remember mom making those whispy curls out of the fine hair at the hairline. I tried that too when I was old enough to care about my hair. One of my early memories of mom was her puttering around in the kitchen while listening to Arthur Godfrey on the radio as he sang and plucked his ukulele. I also recall how she liked to work in the garden and pull the stray weed out. She loved being outside and enjoying our back yard. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. Love you.