
One of my favorite places in the old house was the front porch. I guess it isn't really big enough to be a porch; maybe it's a stoop. . . whatever. Well before the Backyard Picnic Table Breakfast Club there was the Front Porch Frosted Flakes Club. It was a great place to eat breakfast on a cool summer morning because our Maple tree in front blocked a good deal of the morning sun. But it was very exclusive, seating only about two. Mom liked it because it was also a place were kids would hang out, and she didn't have to learn a special yell or whistle to summon us into the house. Sometimes the entire Walnut St. mothers' conspiracy called everyone at once; Mr. Sworden whistling, Mr. Jones yelling out "Barrrry". Pictured above is Cindy Sworden, Trip Beynon, Donny Sworden and Marie. Cindy is sporting a jump rope and her brother has a squirt gun. He was also one of the creators of the "white tape on your broken glasses" fashion statement.
3 comments:
Oh wow, great picture. Yeah, I remember the front porch. I used to throw a baseball at it so I could catch it as it returned. It would come back one of three ways: a grounder, a line drive, or a pop-up. It all depended on where the ball hit on the step. I think hanging out on the front porch also must have given a much better picture of life on our street. I remember the Sworden then Gunderson family.
What I remember most about the front porch was using it for "ghoul" when playing tag. Also I remember on hot summer nights, dad would water the lawn with the hose after dinner.
Wow, what a great picture (except for the dork on the right). This was my bad hair-but-cool-capri-pants-day. I had forgotten about Cindy and Donny Sworden. I remember her red hair and freckles. I wonder how long they lived on Walnut. I mainly remember the milk can with Coleus plants (which became gigantic by Sept.) on the front porch and trying to hand out Halloween candy to kids. We'd have to have them step down one step so we could get the door open. I remember sitting on the porch a lot watching who went by.
Do you guys remember playing in the gutter or ditch out front after it rained? Can't remember if that was before the street had curbs or after.
Post a Comment