Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dad's Coin Purse


One of the oldest memories I have of Dad is him carrying his coin purse. I found myself carrying one in my early teen years as well, probably to be like him. But when it was not in his pocket, do you remember where Dad kept his coin purse? Yep, that's right, in "The Val Tray". Do you remember that thing? I guess that's where he put all the stuff that was in his pocket when he took his pants off. Let's see, that would be his wallet, comb (see comment later on that), small pocket knife, and his "Key Wallet" or whatever that folding leather-like thing was called that had about 20 of his keys.

I remember he used to carry that leather thing that had a metal comb, a nail file, and a nail clipper in it. I remember he asked me if I could make him another one after his had finally fallen apart. I was not able to. I should check and see if I still have his old one down in my box of leather stuff.

Linda, I know you have a coin purse much like mine shown here in the picture. I saw it when I was at your house a few days ago. This coin purse is not the original one I got from Dad, and I am not sure where I got it. It now sits in my closet and just holds loose change I have in my pockets. It was so full of change it caused the leather to stretch in an open position so it has a hard time closing. I never noticed Dad's coin purse bulging, but then again, he probably converted a dollar's worth of change to a dollar bill whenever he could since it was more efficient to carry!

1 comment:

Linda Calkins Dishaw said...

Funny story about this, too. I always thought dad was saying "Valve Tray". I never really understood why it was called that...I didn't see any valves on it...and valves weren't kept on it. It really wasn't until I was a lot older and saw similar things in the store that said "Valet Tray"...oh! "VAL tray!" boy did I feel stupid.