Just some photos of Mom and Duffy at Bitely Lake. I think this picture was taken after Dad passed away. I think Mom went a few more times to the lake after he passed. Here Mom is carrying Duffy into the water since he would not go willingly. Do you folks remember Bitely? I do not think Thom was ever there, and I am not sure if Marie visited when Mom and Dad rented the place.As you can see in the next photo, the place was not that fancy. It was a cinder block cabin with a distinctive moldy smell about it. The
owners tried to keep it clean, and I think they figured renters would probably spend more time in the lake than in the cabin. I remember one time there was a septic drain field problem and we had to use the toilet sparingly. Remember the tether ball pole in the back yard?In the second picture, notice Duffy far ahead of Mom in getting out of the water. On the shore, a towel is hanging on some bushes next to the lake. I am not sure why anyone who had a place on the lake would allow bushes to block their view of the lake. Well, maybe the reason was those bushes produced huge blueberries! I remember one time Mom made pancakes with them. Mmmm, good!
The lake was nice but very small. Vicki, the boys, and I rented the cabin a couple of times and we had Mom stay with us. One time, the cabin was not available and we actually rented the place next door. That one had all the smells of this cabin, but was not as "nice" of a place to stay. I also remember the place (I hesitate to call it a "cabin") next door on the other side was very nice and well kept, and people lived there year 'round.
4 comments:
I remember the cabin and went there once or twice. I remember the first time I also was wondering about the large buses on the water's edge, only to discover the blueberries. What a treat! We were there once when Lou and Vicki were there too. I don't think Bill came because of work. Those were nice times. I have pictures of Jessica and maybe Meg swimming there. I'll look for them.
Mom always dreamed of having family gatherings at a cabin. I think she secretly wished they could have bought a cabin on a lake.
I also remember going to a cabin when I was much younger where we had an outhouse and had to bury our garbage. ( I suppose that was to discourage the animals.) Mom would get up early and make breakfast. The smells of the pancakes, eggs or whatever, came up through an opening in the bedroom floor and would wake us up. I'm not sure where the cabin was but I know it was in the woods and near a very cold lake. Anyone else remember this? Linda might not have been born yet---not sure.
The only cabin beside the one at Bitely, were the Family camp cabins. I can still remember the smell of those things, the goofy bathrooms and the bucket we used as a nighttime bathroom...yuck. I also vividly remember the year I lost blue boy. :-(
Wow...in case anyone was curious..the third comment "removed by the author" was mine..I accidently hit post twice and it duplicated my first comment. I just didn't want anyone thinking someone wrote something and then erased it! And yes, Marie, Megan has the picture you took of her under the dock at Bitely Lake, with her fingers and toes hanging on to the boards like a monkey!
Post a Comment