Saturday, November 29, 2008

orphan


My second birthday as an orphan...I often wonder how mom handled the death of her mom. She was only 17 and I know she often told me about how her mom just "withered away". Apparently Grandma was bound to the bed with a weak heart. She died at Christmas time and was only sixty or so...When mom got to be that age, she told me that she was surprised she didn't die of heart problems at that same age. It would be over ten years later that she even had her bypass surgery. Here is a picture of Grandma and Grandpa Waelde. Our cousin Ric Schaaf (Naomi's son) sent it to me via email about 4 years ago. It had belonged to Aunt Laura. Mom didn't recall ever having seen the photo before and I don't remember seeing it in her "photo collection".

1 comment:

Marie Calkins/Bill Malvitz said...

i remember the hobo costume and others made from a box of costume "parts" that we could choose from. Strange that there are no photos of us in Halloween costumes.
Marie